Divorce is difficult enough without having to find a divorce lawyer who is the right fit for your case. Most people have no experience when it comes to searching for an attorney who practices family law, so searching for someone to take on your case can seem daunting.
Getting divorced is not a decision that people take lightly, and rightly so. Hiring a divorce attorney should not be taken lightly, either. If you are looking for an attorney in the area of family law, here are some things you should know.
Know What You Need in a Divorce Lawyer
Some divorce cases are more complicated than others. If you know that negotiations are going to be drawn out, you should consider hiring an attorney who has extensive experience with negotiations. Likewise, if you think that your spouse is going to stonewall and refuse to compromise, you should find a divorce lawyer who has experience with litigation.
Here are some other things to think about:
- If you have minor children, does the attorney have experience with child custody and child support?
- How will your assets be divided and how will that affect your estate plan?
- Will you be working directly with the attorney, or do paralegals handle day-to-day operations?
It’s critical to remember that certain attorneys may act in their own self-interest when selling you their services. They may push you toward a service or expertise that they have that you know you do not need. In such cases, you are your best advocate—which is why it is so important to know what you need before hiring an attorney.
Take Your Time Finding the Right Attorney
It’s understandable that you want to find a divorce lawyer as fast as possible, but taking your time will be worth it. The first attorney you speak to may not be the best to handle your case.
Do your research. If you find someone you think might be a good fit, check out their online presence. Look at their website to learn more about them. Read reviews from other clients.
Speak to your friends and family for recommendations. Ask people you trust if they know anyone. Once you identify some options, set up a consultation with each candidate. Come prepared to ask them about their experience as a divorce attorney.
On a side note, I am happy to answer any questions you have about my experience before we start working together. Contact me to set up a meeting so we can chat.
Find a Divorce Lawyer Who Is in It for More Than the Money
You don’t have to become friends with your divorce attorney, but they should genuinely care about you and your case. It’s not always possible to tell who is in it for the money, but here are a few red flags to avoid:
- There are no guarantees in divorce. If an attorney makes an unrealistic promise, move on.
- If an attorney candidate divulges confidential information from other cases to impress you, they will probably do the same to you with other potential clients.
- During your consultation, pay attention to whether the attorney gives you their full attention. If they are distracted, taking phone calls, or multitasking, they have probably taken on too much at once. This means they will not be able to give your case the attention it deserves.
Ready to Talk about Your Case?
Are you looking for an experienced divorce attorney? Talk to me today so that we can have a conversation to see if we are a good fit.